Below is a list of companies that sometimes allow overnight urban camping in their parking lots. It’s generally best to call ahead or speak with a manager when you get there to ensure it’s ok to stay the night on their property.
Some municipalities do not allow overnight camping regardless what a business might tell you is ok. Be sure to check with the local municipality laws.
Check out our FAQ: What is urban and stealth camping?
Companies that allow overnight urban camping in their parking lot
- Bars & Casinos
- Vehicle Repair Shops
- Various city parks, fairgrounds
- Bass Pro Shop
- Grain Elevators
- Truck stops
- Movie Theaters
- Asst. organizations (Elks, Moose, VFW, American Legion)
- Fred Meyer
- Food Lion
- Sam’s Club
- Gander Mountain
- Rest Areas and Visitor Centers
- Cracker Barrel
- Home Depot
- Some Malls
- Drive-In Movie theater
Creative Urban/Stealth Camping
- Apartment complexes
- Hotel parking lots
- Abandoned properties that don’t prohibit trespassing
- Industrial areas with no municipality laws against curb-side parking
- Be a security guard for the night – Some companies will allow you to overnight park for a week or more if you help provide security in exchange. They might even let you hook up to their water and electric while there.
If you know of a spot that I may have missed, be sure to let us know so we can add it to the list.
Be sure to call ahead to any of the locations you find in our lists. Some places may be full, changed policy, seasonal, or closed for renovations/repairs.